Having set aside Featured Fiction when the 2014 Fall semester started up at college, I decided to try my hand at another kind of very short fiction. Lillie McFerrin’s challenge is to write a strong, punchy story in only five sentences. Also, we’re giving a word to base the story on every time. There are also pictures usually featured alongside the word but I ignore them because they try to confuse me with their lies.
To be honest, it’s a bit harder to make a full and interesting story with only five sentences rather than 100 words from Friday Fictioneers. Five Sentence Fiction makes it much harder to sculpt short, pithy dialogue which is what I usually prefer in my other short ficiton. As such, I’m forced to abuse dashes and semicolons in ways that are probably very incorrect.
But nobody’s called me out on them yet, so I’ll just keep doing it anyway!
So, presented for you is all of my Five Sentence Fiction works all archived for your convenience.
- Five Sentence Fiction: Overpowered– Published November 27th, 2014
A naive sort of young man assumes that people care about what he has to say.
- Five Sentence Fiction: Brave Dawn– Published November 18th, 2014
A man tries to fly after everybody else ever tells him he can’t.
- Five Sentence Fiction: Observations– Published November 9th, 2014
An alien feels pangs of jealousy for, of all things, humans.
- Five Sentence Fiction: Decisions– Published October 30th, 2014
Marriage is difficult, as the narrator’s friend reveals.
- Five Sentence Fiction: Utter Disgrace– Published October 23rd, 2014
The author kicks himself in the shins for having absolutely no inspiration on the given week.
- Five Sentence Fiction: Sunrise– Published October 15th, 2014
Described as “beautiful” by a friend of the author, a blind man sees for the first time in a long while.
- Five Sentence Fiction: Why He Does What He Does– Published October 6th, 2014
The author watched There Will Be Blood too many times before writing this entry.
- Five Sentence Fiction: Night of Revels– Published October 1st, 2014
Mad clowns and jesters prepare for a delightful night of bloodbaths.
- Five Sentence Fiction: Modern Riot– Published September 24th, 2014
A dive into post-modern self-awareness involving trains is just a kind of long, over-extended onomatopoeia.
- Five Sentence Fiction: Giving Me Grief– Published September 16th, 2014
Grief haunts a guy as he goes about his day and incoherently rambles onto the internet blog post.
- Five Sentence Fiction: July Sun/Inner Darkness– Published September 8th, 2014
A double-feature on dystopias- one on nuns and one on an underground dome city.
- Five Sentence Fiction: Conflict of Interest– Published August 31st, 2014
One dude thinks about how nervous he is about touching another dude he’s rather fond of.
- Five Sentence Fiction: A Streetcar Named Inspiration, or, Unintended Irony– Published August 24th, 2014
A rocky start to a new writing challenge makes some surprising bursts of inspiration.